Muhammad Ali, Lomanchenko, Saenchai, Georges St Pierre and just about every other great boxer, kickboxer and MMA fighter used or uses shadowboxing to refine his skills.
These fighters depend on their combat skills to earn a living and keep them safe, so if it wasn’t important then they probably wouldn’t do it.
Conversely, if they all do it then you probably should do it as well!
In the video below my friend and training partner Ritchie Yip gives you a ton of tips for shadowboxing including
- The two basic kinds of shadowboxing
- Common mistakes that’ll make this a much less effective exercise
- How mindset can make or break your shadowboxing
- Why punching in shadowboxing is different from hitting the bag or the focus mitts
- How you can fight with your head down and why you DON’T need to watch your opponent
- And much more
Lots of good advice in this video, so if you practise any kind of striking martial art you should definitely give it a watch!